Hello Peter,

I have some good news.  Using the information you provided, I searched Archeevo
, it’s a searchable database of some of the holdings of Azorean Archives-
http://www.arquivos.azores.gov.pt.

What I did is search using Joao’s parents, and although Joao’s particular
record did not come up, his brother’s ( Jose) passport citation did.  It
indicated Jose was born in Sao Roque do Rosto de Cao, a parish in the municipal
of Ponta Delgada.  From there, it was easy to find Joao’s baptism record.  He
was born on May 27th, 1847.  Both are nice records, with Joao’s having the 1869
certification.  Joao’s mother, Teresa, is from Lajes do Pico, so thats where
the Lagoa confusion arose.

 I’m happy for you.  Now when you visit the Azores later this year, you’ll have
a deeper appreciation of your ancestors and where they came from.  Good luck
with your research and I hope you enjoy your trip.

Here are the links to Jose and Joao’s baptism record: With this information you
can locate records for any other siblings Joao may have had, and his parents
marriage and baptism records.

Joao’s baptism link:
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PD-SAOROQUE-B-1843-1850/SMG-PD-SAOROQUE-B-1843-1850_item1/P142.html

Jose’s baptism link: