Sonya,

A quick check of he passports turns up a Jose Oscar de Bettencourt leaving
for England in 1873, he was 30 years old.  So there's hope you may find
what you're looking for in the City of Horta, island of Faial.

Check out 10th line from the bottom, # 20.

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/PASSAPORTES-FAL-1867-1876/PASSAPORTES-FAL-1867-1876_item1/P113.html

On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 11:49 PM Sonya Thomas <mrsson...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for information on Juan Oschar who we believe is from the
> Azores Islands.
>
> According to his naturalisation papers (attached) he was born in January
> in 1849 in Ferali(?) in the Western Islands of Portugal. He arrived in
> Australia about 1873 and settled in the York Penninsula, South Australia.
> He married Annie Marie Ah Wan in Sevenhill, South Australia in 1875.
>
> We have been unable to find any reference to his parents names, and have
> found very little on the surname Oschar. We have be unable to find any
> record of his arrival into Australia.
>
> Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks,
> Sonya.

Margaret M Vicente