JR,

Oh my goodness - you are amazing! I was looking at the archives last night 
hoping to indeed find his record but I couldn't make sense of what I was 
reading (still learning to make sense of the cursive). This is amazing 
information. I absolutely cannot thank you enough! 

Diane

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 9:39:17 AM UTC-4, JR wrote:
>
> This appears to be your Jose baptised in Povoacao. The name of person to 
> whom Jose was given is, Anna Violante da Motta, viuva (widow). She is 
> native of Faial da Terra. Doesn't say who was her husband. 
>
>
> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PV-MAEDEDEUS-B-1860-1869/SMG-PV-MAEDEDEUS-B-1860-1869_item1/P461.html
>
> Jose, No- 96, exposto, bap- June 7- 1866. Given to Anna Violante da Motta, 
> viuva, morador na Faial da Terra. The godfather is Jose de Rezende, and 
> this is perhaps where Jose obtained his name.
>
> JR
>
> On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 7:27:33 PM UTC-4, Diane DeMelo wrote:
>>
>> Cheri,
>>
>> Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Such fascinating and helpful 
>> information! I enjoyed reading the naming practices. Insightful article 
>> about Finding Your Roots too!
>>
>> Such a fascinating narrative about what may have happened with Maria and 
>> the baby. It'll just be one of those things we'll never know! I did locate 
>> a woman in my cousin's tree called Violante Rosa de Medeiros Festa who 
>> lived in Faial da Terra with an occupation as midwife/parteira that would 
>> have been 30 in 1866 when Jose was born. Interesting. 
>>
>> My parents are both deceased and the only living sibling of my dad is his 
>> younger sister, about 82. She's in good physical health but she's been in 
>> the Casa de Saúde in Ponta Delgada since she was 18. I was there last in 
>> 2017 and wish I had been interested in this at the time. There's a 
>> possibility I might visit next year and I think for her the best thing 
>> would be a cheek swab so it looks like FTDNA would fit the bill for that. I 
>> did my own testing with 23andme. I've uploaded my results to FTDNA on your 
>> suggestion and will eagerly await the results. 
>>
>> I have a lot of research ahead of me! I appreciate all the help and 
>> advice!
>>
>> Diane
>>
>> On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 1:24:36 PM UTC-4, Cheri Mello wrote:
>>>
>>> Diane DM,
>>>
>>> They are small villages and people talk. People may have seen Maria and 
>>> knew she was pregnant. And perhaps Maria thought no one saw her or no one 
>>> would talk. So after giving birth, she leaves her baby at the roda (the 
>>> wheel - it's like a Lazy Susan for offerings given to the church). The baby 
>>> is turned over to the Camara and they assign a nursing woman to feed the 
>>> baby. The child, if it lives, is raised by the family for 7 years. At the 
>>> age of 7, the child can chose to stay with the family or make his/her own 
>>> way.
>>>
>>> Now, if people saw Maria and saw that she had no baby, they may have 
>>> asked her where it was. So then she claimed her baby. Maybe she had a 
>>> change of heart and decided to claim her baby and raise him herself. Maybe 
>>> as he got a little bigger, he looked so much like her that she went ahead 
>>> and claimed him. We don't know. Somewhere between Jose's birth and 
>>> marriage, he found out who his mom was.
>>>
>>> Why these expostos pick a certain surname - who knows. It could be from 
>>> one of the families they lived with. It could be a surname of importance in 
>>> the freguesia, so picking that well-known name might give them better 
>>> opportunities. We just don't know their reasons. 
>>>
>>> On Sao Miguel island, when referring to Faial da Terra they either write 
>>> Faial da Terra or Faial. If they are talking about the island of Faial, 
>>> they say ilha da Faial. Yep, the first time I saw that I was confused 
>>> myself!
>>>
>>> Surnames are fluid. It takes a while to get used to this. Immigrants 
>>> often dropped the de/da/do prefix to the surname. The double consonant were 
>>> dropped in many words when the language was "modernized" in 1910/1911 or 
>>> so. Here's a little article that Kathy Cardoza and I wrote on surnames. 
>>> It's on the Azores GenWeb here: https://goo.gl/4aU6sP 
>>>
>>> To go back a generation and finding the siblings of one of your 
>>> grandparents (the one who has "pai incognito" may not have any other known 
>>> siblings - at least from that mother) ... Yes, the hunt, just as you said. 
>>> A few churches have indices. If you use Tombo.pt, he lists them for you, if 
>>> they exist:
>>> [image: image.png]
>>> This church, Sao Miguel Arcanjo, in Vila Franca, has separate indices in 
>>> addition to the baptisms, marriages, and deaths. They also have books of 
>>> legitimizations - where the parent(s) come forward and say the baby is 
>>> theirs. Sometimes, the legitimization is recorded in the margin too. Or 
>>> quite often, just not recorded. 
>>>
>>> Some priests may have put an index in the back of the book. Here's one 
>>> from Ribeira das Tainhas:
>>> [image: image.png]
>>>
>>> Name, parents, record number, and page. Watch that "v." (Yeah, sorry, 
>>> the priest in my freguesia wasn't so good at penmanship). The first record 
>>> is #49 on page 21v, meaning 21 verso. In English, page 21 reverse. In 
>>> normal thinking, turn to page 22 and look on the left.
>>>
>>> Anyways, collecting the siblings is a good thing. Once you find one 
>>> though, you go 9 months forwards or backwards (depending on which way you 
>>> are researching) and then start looking for another baby. You are stuck 
>>> hunting for the parents only in the 3rd time period - that's where the 
>>> record gives all that detail. Then you hit about 1860 (the 2nd time 
>>> period). Working back in the 2nd time period it will say right on the first 
>>> line, Jose, filho de Manuel da Silva and Maria da Souza. That part becomes 
>>> much easier, but there are no grandparents. The 3 time periods, with what 
>>> to expect in each record can be found again on the Azores GenWeb here: 
>>> https://goo.gl/4Tzc2i 
>>>
>>> Yes, DNA is bringing new people to our wonderful world of genealogy. So 
>>> no, it wasn't silly. If you did not test with  Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) , 
>>> transfer your results there. If you did test with FTDNA, be sure to join 
>>> the Azores DNA Project. I can email you the directions on these if you need 
>>> them. gfscherim at gmail.com  If your parents are alive or have any 
>>> remaining siblings, DNA test them now. You will be glad you did. FTDNA as 
>>> will as the other major companies will have a DNA sale at the end of the 
>>> year.
>>> Good luck, Cheri Mello
>>> Cheri Mello
>>> Listowner, Azores-Gen
>>> Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira 
>>> Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada
>>>
>>>
>>> On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 9:51 AM Diane DeMelo <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Cheri and Bill, 
>>>>
>>>> Thank you so very much for helping decipher these records. I cannot 
>>>> thank you enough. Thank you for clarifying my grandfather's birth year. My 
>>>> brother-in-law thought it was 1897, I thought it looked like 1898 so 
>>>> another set of eyes is appreciated.
>>>>
>>>> My cousin has a very extensive family tree but there was missing 
>>>> information about my father's side. I have incredible information about my 
>>>> mother's maternal and paternal line going back generations and now having 
>>>> more information about my father is satisifying. Having my sister get my 
>>>> grandparents information on her recent trip to Sao Miguel has indeed been 
>>>> fruitful as we were able to connect to people in his tree that had no 
>>>> descendants or missing descendants recorded. I wish I was interested in 
>>>> genealogy when my mother was alive. It took me to do a silly DNA test to 
>>>> suddenly be interested. Ah, such is life.
>>>>
>>>> If I'm understanding the record about my grandfather's father - 
>>>> information for his mother and father are missing/unknown parents. This is 
>>>> interesting. I'm trying to figure out how he ended up with the name de 
>>>> Resendes then. I wonder if his mother (the woman listed as Maria Pereira 
>>>> de 
>>>> Melo) died young and Violante raised him. Is that Faial the island or 
>>>> Faial 
>>>> da Terra? ON my cousin's family tree I see a Violante de Resendes (who had 
>>>> a mother with de Medeiros and a father with de Resende --missing the s) 
>>>> who 
>>>> was born 1827 and died 1896. She and her husband (Jose Carreiro) were from 
>>>> neighboring Agua Retorta. 
>>>>
>>>> I figured with one of the records listing his mother as Maria Pereira 
>>>> de Melo, she must have given the child either her mother or father's 
>>>> surname. The surnames are so confusing. For examle, my father and all his 
>>>> siblings got the surname of my grandmother Maria Lourdes de Melo and not 
>>>> the father, Jose Pereira de Resendes. At some point the de got dropped and 
>>>> the original double L in deMello was dropped to a single L.
>>>>
>>>> I have a question - how would I find the siblings of my grandfather 
>>>> Jose or the children of his parents? I'm guessing one has to look through 
>>>> all the possible years of birth and examine each record one at a time - 
>>>> yes? 
>>>>
>>>> Thank you all again. What a great community of support!
>>>>
>>>> Diane
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 7:24:19 AM UTC-4, [email protected] 
>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Whether its 1897 or 1898 (I agree with Cheri that it looks like 1898) 
>>>>> I can't seem to find this baptism in Faial da Terra.  
>>>>>
>>>>> I did find what may be the marriage of his parents:
>>>>>
>>>>> Faial da Terra, 16 Feb 1887
>>>>> Groom: Jose Pereira de Resendes, 20 years old (would be age 53 or 54 
>>>>> in 1920) exposto baptized in Povoacao (Mae de Deus) and given to 
>>>>> Violante de Medeiros of Faial to be raised.
>>>>> Bride: Emilia Guilhermina da Conceicao, 25 years old (would be age 58 
>>>>> or 59 in 1920), daughter of Jose da Costa and Maria Pacheco 
>>>>> Names and ages are close (not exact) matches.  The father has both 
>>>>> parents unknown (exposto) instead of just an unknown father.
>>>>>
>>>>> Starts bottom left:  
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> *http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PV-FAIALDATERRA-C-1880-1889/SMG-PV-FAIALDATERRA-C-1880-1889_item1/P70.html*
>>>>>  
>>>>> <http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PV-FAIALDATERRA-C-1880-1889/SMG-PV-FAIALDATERRA-C-1880-1889_item1/P70.html>
>>>>> Bill Seidler
>>>>>
>>>>>> -- 
>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
>>>> Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send 
>>>> an email to [email protected].
>>>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/azores.
>>>>
>>>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to