Sam,

Yes, you kinda have to go with an educated guess. Then try to prove it with
DNA.

I come from a Miguel Correia in the Sao Miguel Arcanjo in Vila Franca. Son
of Manuel Correia married to a Maria de Souza in the very early 1700s. I
found Miguel's baptism and then I went about finding his siblings. It takes
9 months to make a baby. Miguel was born May 8 of 1709. OK, go back to July
of 1708. So I started scrolling the mircofilm (this was B.C. - Before
Computers). So I landed in July and scrolled back in time until I found
another baby. Let's say the baby was born in December 1707 to make this
example easy to follow. OK December (12) minus 9 months = March. Scroll,
scroll, scoll. This is a Matriz and it's large. Stop and see if I'm in
March. Nope, I'm in July and low and behold, Manuel Correia and Maria de
Sousa are having a baby. There's no way a couple can have a baby in July
and then present a baby in December for baptism. So I went back looking at
every single record for ALL babies born to ANY Manuel Correia and Maria de
Sousa. I took took them all home (the printed copies - this was B.C
remember). The couple of times that the babies were born too close
together, I knew it belonged to the other family. Then I looked at the
godparents. One set of godparents seemed to appear over and over again. So
I sorted the families based on godparents. Then I checked the births and it
fits. So one Manuel Correia family has one set of godparents for their kids
and the other Manuel Correia family has the mishmash godparents. Am I
right? I have no idea. It's kinda of an educated guess. Because it's the
very early 1700s, it's a little too far back for autosomal (Family Finder
DNA). My dad's DNA should go back to about the 1730s and this line is about
25 years before that. So I'd have to find a male Correia and Y-DNA test
them and then find a male Correia from the other Manuel and Y-DNA test and
hope they aren't 1st cousins or something. And if they are? I may be back
to my educated guess.

When I have some time, I really should work this line more forwards and
look for ALL siblings of both Manuel Correias and Maria de Sousas. And
cross check for godparents.

So long story short - if the records are old you are stuck with an educated
guess. If the records are 1800s, DNA could possibly answer the question for
you.
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada