I think it is pretty laughable :-)

I am very happy to pay for quality and expensive programming, but being censored from the same, just because of a legal precedent, is almost the ultimate insult, especially if one does have a UK TV license. In my hallucination, it should take one person within Auntie's legal department about a month to change the contracts for content production, add some budget for servers and bandwidth, to make the biggest change to how the BBC works since radio gave way to black and white TV.
I can hear the voices of resistance still.
There is absolutely no reason not to, and if the BBC doesn't, it will probably find all of its best content hosted all over the world for anyone to see anyway..... just as CBS have found out.

So where exactly did all this "locking out" and streaming certain content to certain places come from? Big brother? :-)

How about leading the way with both feet in to a new world of a really universal BBC on the net, with none of the boundaries? The opposite to the TV world.

I'm sure that a way could be programmed to reverse Psiphon or the like, with something like realtime P2P to distribute the feeds via a massive server of "trusted" associates, now that would be exciting. I'll pay and deliver, how's that? I hope that the future is MAC addresses, not IP's.

Richard