On 23/01/07, Richard P Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Vijay,

Believe it...... I can hear the clunky wheels starting up.....

"From the halls of the British Corporation...... yes we need DRM to satisfy
the owners of the work that is to be re-produced, without it we could never
get a licence, or the content.... etc.etc.etc......"

DRM doesn't exist on my planet....... but then nor does BBC TV according to
the BBC. Talk about restricting culture, it seems at every level. I don't
believe that DRM is to stop the customer or help the original Rights
owner..... but it sure allows some control factor from the distributor.
It will be interesting to see why anyone believes that it is needed on BBC
products. :-)
RichE

http://www.lllj.net/blog/archives/2006/01/06/how-can-drm-be-good/#comment-7373

for "anyone" insert "the tens of thousands of rights holders who
actually own the on demand rights to programmes the BBC has broadcast"

in the short term the choice is this: offer very little on demand, or use DRM

a horrible choice, but the choice the BBC faces