On Saturday 10 February 2007 22:28, Tim Thornton wrote:

Regarding the other longer mail, many thanks for that - I'll read up on the
references. I'd made some assumptions about the system, but hadn't realised
that there were some keys I was unaware of the the TPM and the fact that
there is a signing authority involved as well (I know of someone who may be
interested in this you see). Given that I can see how difficult it would be
to fake the necessary environment. (People would just resort to re-encoding
after it hits the analogue domain then and ignore the whole thing)

> Your machine will do what you tell it to. It's just that there are
> secrets you can't access.

Regarding the point above, that's the issue here. Whilst you're happy with
owning a computer that will keep secrets from you, I'm not.

That's a minor detail though - kinda you say potato I saw potato - we're
unlikely to agree. (We both agree they keep their secrets from the user,
from your perspective I still retain control, from mine I don't.)

After all, I'm happy with the idea that I can use it for all the obvious
examples of it protecting my secrets though. A company storing its accounts
information including my credit card details on a TCPA based system would be
preferable to one that didn't. (After all companies are subject to
burglaries, thefts, and losses of various kinds)

Thanks for the references and explanation - I'll read up on the references,
you never know when the positive uses of the technology will be handy.

Regards,

Michael.