> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > To be blunt if it's served to *my* PC I have every right to do as I
> > wish with the content; the same as if I buy a book, I don't have to
> > read it all, why is it different for a website? I don't
> > have to read
> > the adverts in magazines or newspapers no one considers those "an
> > intrinsic part of [their] content"
> No - but they're still there.  You flick past them, and they
> don't annoy you by their very presence, which web ads appear
> to.  You don't insist your newsagent takes a pair of scissors
> or a bottle of Tipp-Ex to your copy of  "Wired" or "Empire"
> before you buy it, do you?  (And, as someone who used to work
> in print media, I think you'd find that yes, ads *are*
> considered an intrinsic part of a magazine's content.)

There's an interesting side issue on advert intrusiveness in all this.
Some forms of advertising are more intrusive than others.  The 15 or so
billboards I have to walk past in the ten minute walk to the tube
station, are far more intrusive than a page advert in a magazine.

A flashing, zooming, screeching flash advert on a webpage perhaps even
more so.

So there's an inevitability.  Make your adverts intrusive and annoying,
and people will want to skip them.  And if they find a way, they will.

(Believe me, if I could destroy the combined works of Titan, Clear
Channel and JC Decaux who continue to blight the area I live in (usually
without planning permission too), I would.)