On 27/02/07, James Cridland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 2/27/07, vijay chopra <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]<https://mail.google.com/mail?view=cm&tf=0&[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
wrote:

> Take a site like slashdot, I visit, I like the content, so I decide to
> white-list. However I find the ads over intrusive so I put it back on the
> black list

Ah. Other people might get irritated with the ads and therefore not go
back to Slashdot. Instead, you want to get the content, but not want to let
them have any chance of earning revenue from it. It's akin to stealing
chocolate from the store because you believe the prices are 'over-high'.
It's unethical. It's indefensible. It's wrong. You know it - I know it - we
all know it. Your only ethical option is to Not Visit. Full-stop. Stop
stealing, and stop boasting that you're stealing.

My first instinct was to write something very unBBC here (think
hallucinogenic drugs), but that would be an abuse of the list, so I wont.
Instead I'll defend myself rationally. Slashdot has put content on a public
network, it serves me what I request, there is no obligation on me to
request it all. To use your metaphor, the shop store might be offering it's
broken chocolate free (there's a shop near me does this), I don't have to
take it.

Secondly I contribute back to slashdot because I meta-moderate, moderate and
submit stories regularly, I also partake in the public beta of "discussion 2
and "drink" from the fire hose; what I spend in time doing that out ways any
benefits they get by my downloading and ignoring ads

Interestingly, we did some experiments on Virgin Radio's website with flash
overlayz (you know, those horrid things that get in the way of content). I
said to the sales manager: "We'll do those, fine. The first complaint we
get, we'll remove them from the site". She agreed. I believed that we'd get
the first complaint within the first hour of the first day.

We're still waiting for that first complaint, nine months later.

The moral of the story? Complain, people. Please. If you don't complain, I
can't tell the sales manager to take her crappy overlayz and shove them
where the sun doesn't shine because our visitors don't want them.

I've never visited Virgin Radio's site (I don't listen to Virgin Radio) but
if I did and saw flash overlays in my way I'd either leave and not come
back, or (if there's content I like) remove them with my ad blocker; why
should I help some random company make money from their site if they don't
have basic skills for good web design. The only time I complain is if
companies put the W3C compliant logo on their page and it doesn't validate
as that's false advertising, If there's only a couple of mistakes I'll even
send a fix.

However, I should rush to point out - we no longer carry overlayz, because
we believe nobody likes them. If only someone had complained, we'd have
acted earlier. (Please give feedback about anything you see on that site to
www.virginradio.co.uk/contact_us/?to=techies and I or one of my team will
reply).

Again it's not the public's responsibility to fix your site design to make
it profitable; that's you and your line managers job (put a focus group
together or something), however as you've asked, if I open my sidebar,
instead of resizing the page, I get a scroll bar; this is highly annoying
and next to the main picture box (the one that changes with the rollovers) I
have a second black box that seems to do nothing at all (yes I turned my
adblocker off). Also in Opera (previous comment's were about firefox) your
rollovers don't work, though the black box disappears (I haven't checked it
in IE).

I'll send you that through your feedback form for you as well.

Vijay.