Hi Andy,

This is all my personal opinion.

Thank you for presenting yet another "The BBC isn't supporting my
favorite format" moan.

> Flash may be running at startup

I don't believe it does this.

> If you can't see what code is doing to your machine better assume its
doing something bad to it.

Yes, if your completely paranoid.

> Javascript (needed for AJAX) is implemented differently across browser

Yes, but there are ways and means of getting the % of users who can run
it much, much higher than the Java plugin. Hence why the majority of
webpages use javascript in some way but hardly any use Java applets.

> Who is responsible for these decisions?

Ultimately it is probably the developer of the application, although
they are bound by the Standards & Guidelines [1]. In this case we are
talking about the Multimedia Plugin-in Content Standards document [2].

This standard shows that "Multimedia plug-in content SHOULD only be used
to extend the user experience of sites on bbc.co.uk, to raise their
overall appeal, or to promote the brand." and that traditional uses of
Java "can be achieved in JavaScript or Flash, and these SHOULD be used
due to their lower user system/security requirements.".

The people responsible for the standard have their names at the bottom
of the document [3].

The flash player is more prevalent than a Java plugin (98.3% vs 86.9%)
[4]. The Java plug-in (at least the one presented to me) is about 5.5x
the size of the Flash plugin (7.1mb [5] vs 1.3mb [6]).

My personal experience is that whilst they have their applications, Java
applets are slow and clunky. They suffer versioning and browser
implementation issues, plus load VERY slowly on the majority of user's
platforms as "migc63" describes.

> Are they actually qualified or did they pull somebody in off the
street

I believe the BBC's fair selection policies prevent it from doing this.
You may be interested in the "How do we recruit" document [7]. Thanks
for demeaning our jobs though.

[1] http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/newmedia/
[2]
http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/newmedia/desed/multimedia_plugins_flash.