Andy wrote:
On 05/03/07, blogHUD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
they soon found out that a MASSIVE majority of users to BBC News
Online had the version of Flash I needed

I was always told we needed the BBC to cater for the people who aren't
in the majority.
If you are only going to cater for the majority then why do we even
bother with a BBC in the first place?
I always thought BBC is mainstream and other government media companies like Channel 4 are for the minorities.

I think it's amusing when I see people bemoan the use of Flash for things
that sure, can be done in AJAX etc.
I would recommend never using Flash.
By using Flash the BBC is forcing users to enter into a legal contract
with a third party, just to use the BBC's site.
You can always click the links for the flash free version. No one is forcing you to look at the flash content. I reckon if you took a random sample of people from the street the vast majority would prefer the flash version.
Oh and on the subject of VM, how does the flash VM protect me if I am
worried about the player itself being hostile?
I can not accurately determine what actions it is going to take. I am
sorry but I am not skilled enough in reverse engineering to look at
binary level data and determine what the code does.
Blimey if your that paranoid you should start using lynx immediately. How do you know that all the images on the BBC web site haven't been infected with a virus like the WMF exploit (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS06-001.mspx), plus all that nasty javascript that is all over the web these days.

Anyway i thought this was the BBC Backstage mailing list and not the BBC Bashing mailing list :-P

Adam