Richard Lockwood wrote:

I don't recall The Daily Show relying on transcripts of Congress (or
whatever they call it in those forn parts).

The Daily Show uses video footage of Congress all the time. An equivalent usage of parliamentary video footage is specifically banned by that "no extracts of Parliamentary proceedings may be used in any light entertainment programme or in a programme of political satire" rule (as stated in "The Rules of Coverage" linked to previously). The Daily Show makes enough use of congressional footage that it wouldn't be quite the same show if it wasn't allowed.

If anything, a Daily Show UK would be even more reliant on parliamentary footage, thanks to greater importance of Parliament compared to Congress. You couldn't do a Daily Show UK without at least some Prime Ministers Question Time material, for example.

Let's face it - The Daily Show (which is a fantastic show) draws
heavily on the history of satirical political TV programming - I see
Not The Nine O'Clock News in there, I see David Frost in there, I see
Peter Cook in there...

None of which ever used video of MPs and Lords "at work". It would be interesting to know how much (if at all) the people behind The Daily Show (other than John Oliver) were influenced by "Not The Nine O'Clock News" et al. - were they even shown in the US?

cheers

Scot