Hello all,

Fantastic information - this is very interesting indeed. Thanks to Kim for the bbc.co.uk information, Richard and Brain for their information and James for the virginradio.co.uk and the other sites. I think this allows us all to build up quite a clear picture of what the 'average' user will surf with.

From the bbc.co.uk data, if IE5.5 is more or less on a par with Safari, there are two ways of looking at it - Since the number of users are similar, if you support Safari you should support IE5.5 - Alternatively since IE5.5 will be harder work to support, and it's border line anyway, drop support

For a site which is looking to support as wide a range of users as possible, it looks like IE5.5 should still be supported (if the target audience is as wide as the BBC's) - although James' statistics did show what appears to be a base line of IE5.x users - while IE5.0 should be dropped (in a graded way). I really like how the BBC does it's browser support - very nice work!

Thank you very much to everyone for sharing this data - it really is very interesting. And I second the request for the BBC to publish this data (just as it is below), which would be a really good guide for what range of browsers the average person uses.

Many thanks
Allan