I'd take issue with that sweeping stateent - pretty much all of my student
friends have laptops, some have both. I live in a house with five other
people - in total there's three mac users and three windows users. Me, I'm a
Windows expert, one of my housemates is a Mac expert. The other three are
more 'users' than 'power users' - but whenever there's a problem with one of
the Macs, they usually end up coming to me for help (and I can usually sort
the problem out even though I hate macs and osx). The mac users can't make
head nor tail of how the OS works - they just don't "understand" it. It's
like watching my mum use a computer - she uses it by rote, she doesn't
understand 'how' it works or how it achieves what it does.

Inded, MANY of the more technically-minded people on my course either use
Windows or ave both a pc and a mac - and I only use a mac because I have to
(music tech and production course, we do lotsof work with DAWs and protools
et al, and that's always traditionally been a mac-led industry). I often
find that people I speak to who have PCs understand how they work better
than the people with Macs - they're much more newbie users.

Of course, there's many MANY expert Mac users out there, but to me it seems
that age range of people I hang around with seem to buy macs much more for
the style impact, because they look pretty, than for what they offer
technology-wise.

It depresses me, we need some kind of intelligence test which will bar a
machine from starting up if they get it wrong, that'll weed out the people
who are clueless users fast enough (and solve problems like phishing and
botnets - which would then indirectly lessen the problem of spam - imho,
because only people who don't know how to secure their machines fall prey to
those kinds of social engineering).

</elitist></rant>

Personaly I always prefer to remain platform-agnostic, and it really annoys
me when I have to stay locked in to any one platform, whether it's windows
OR mac. After using Windows for uch a long time, there are many small things
which REALLY annoy me about using OSX - to the point where I can consciously
feel my productivity worsening as a result. That hacks me off.