On 12/06/07, Tom Morris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> DRM MADE MY SISTER CRY.

An all-too-common story

Thanks for backing me up on this one :-)

but (and I hate to say this) it only proves
that you need to keep good backups and that the iPod's Music Mode is
not a backup (without the use of third-party software).
I know that I ought to practice what I
preach and help them setup a backup schedule - but does the fact that
the doctor is an alcoholic make his advice about cutting down on
alcohol usage wrong? Of course it's not.)

While logically what he says is true, IMO its quite unlikely he's
going to persuade someone with a minor drinking problem to sort it
out, if he himself doesn't live and believe what he's saying. His
drink-less pitch will miss the subtle differences that make a
difference in inspiring change.

Similarly, you're unlikely to get anybody doing good backups by just
saying "do regular backups" when you don't do it yourself. If you do
do it yourself, you'll include those sublte differences like "do
regular backups with bacula".

The iPod's Music Mode is, of course, a perfectly good back up: It is a
copy of your music library.

--
Regards,
Dave