On 12/06/07, Jeremy Stone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Good luck to ITV.com btw . Has it launched yet ;)

The "new soaps" section of http://www.itv.com has live streams and
catch up service right now. Guess that came out this week.

I'd say this was the first of its kind in the UK -  gratis live
streaming of TV with an advertising model rather then subscription.

Also, an anonymous friend elsewhere in the industry wrote me,

"As for the DRM, the issue is probably a lack of understanding from a legal
point of view. Really what happens is the legal teams need to be able to
say they used "best practice" - and if that happens to not be very good in
our opinion does not matter. The big studios go the Windows Media route,
well so then will the "production houses". Big studios/production
houses create/own the content and dictate how they go out on broadcast.
Distributor need to adhere to the guidlines, otherwise those
companies will not provide/sell them the content. The big US companies
set the benchmark in legal terms. So for example the productions houses
dont care if some guy in the street is saying DRM is bad, they care
that the content is protected to the best of their ability, and they
see Fox/whoever... using windows media. Remember these productions
also sell DVD's and the like."

--
Regards,
Dave