On 14/06/07, Stephen Deasey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Creating an artificial scarcity of bits and charging for them is just
a round about way of charging for a genuinely scarce resource: the
time and effort of creators. Because the scarce bits model no longer
works, creators will have to charge differently:

  - More directly, e.g. I will play may guitar and sing if you pay at the
door
  - Less directly, e.g. I will tell people to buy your perfume if you pay
me

What's interesting is that there are multiple models for how this works, and
I suspect there's no "on size fits all" approach. For example, one of the
common examples of how a non-DRM system could work to pay for creativity in
music is "give away the recordings, make money on the tours". But you can
also turn that around: for example, Apple is "sponsoring" free gigs, while
selling recordings of the gigs (hopefully DRM free, although I suspect that
will be down to which record companies are involved). The idea is that
you're paying for the convenience of being able to download them from a
trusted source, fast, and with the quality you want. You pay for
ease-of-download.