I think - as do many others, it seems - that people pirate because they want
interoperability, convenience of consumption on their own terms, and the
quality is often better to boot.

Me and my housemates all pay for a TV license but I don't have a TV in my
room (and the only person with a TV's gone home for the summer and taken it
with him), I ended up downloading last week's episode of Doctor Who the same
night it was broadcast (via everyone's favourite distribution platform,
bittorrent) because it didn't appear on iPlayer until 24 hours later.

I watched it, and enjoyed it - the quality was better (in both bitrate and
resolution) than the BBC's offering (because I did download both to
compare), it was just an xvid-encoded AVI so I could watch it on my desktop
and my laptop (as opposed to the DRM-laden WMV which I can only watch on my
laptop).

I've downloaded music from allofmp3 in the past because it's just so
convenient. Why can't the industries understand that people, above all else,
value convenience? I wanted to get another copy of an album I had a long
time ago but since mislaid (though I know it's around somewhere, probably
scratched to buggery). Jumped onto AOMP3, got a FLAC copy of it. Perfect.
Other stuff I've downloaded in MP3 format, in a quality level I've decided
upon to balance the cost versus quality.

The movie and music industries should be thinking of rolling out a system
exactly like this - the consumer has all the choice, they can choose from
either popular favourite formats or custom-tailor their order. There's no
variable charges, it's all just unit-priced and higher quality costs more,
defined by filesize (and maybe a static surcharge if it's brand new or not
back-catalogue). iTunes to me feels very much like this idea but "mk. 1",
like Apple's getting the industry used to this way of thinking and will
eventually push for a more user-centric content delivery system like
AllOfMP3's.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - the labels need to embrace the
customer. Treat them as potential investors, not criminals, offer them a
friendly, versatile solution which offers their choice of music via an
intuitive interface in their choice of formats - no DRM, of course - and
make it fairly priced. Digital music is still not fairly priced.

People will then buy it - because it's just not worth the effort of
downloading a hokey copy and taking the risk of all those viruses, dodgy
quality copies, getting a Dear John letter from your ISP - because if the
content is priced that attractively, it's a no-brainer.

What you'll get from that is the people who are totally honest will buy as
much as they used to, save a bit of money and their behaviours won't change;
people who would buy their favourite stuff but borrow/copy/download other
stuff will download more and maybe share a bit but share less because
they've paid for it; people who would just copy or borrow everything will
carry on regardless. Overall? A net gain. You can't change poeples' habits
of a lifetime.

I'm dead serious - give people the flexibility and choice to consume exactly
how they want and they will flock to it - in their droves. It frustrates me
that the media industries are so inexplicably stuck in their ways - even if
they claim to be embracing digital media - that they are either scared to
break away from the pack and try something different or they are pressuring
(or being pressured by others) to carry on with the current broken solution
of DRM and proprietary foramts, systems... Only in a bizarre situation like
this would you get a software and DRM vendor where media encoded in their
own PlaysForSure DRM format doesn't actually play on their first hardware
digital music player.

Throwing the whole idea of consumers as untrustworthy thieves out the window
and reestablishing the bond of trust between consumers and providers by
giving them the choice to consume media in the formats they want for a
reasonable, easy-to-understand price. Think about it - the music label gets
money from the purchase if I buy an album in FLAC format, I burn it to CDR
and snap - instant original quality album for my car, keep the FLACs on my
PC and my MP3 player (because it can play FLAC files in realtime) or just
transcode them to MP3. The labels all get an amount from the blank CD tax
which is charged regardless, which is nice. I would do the same if I bought
the album, but it costs the label less if I do the digital route and buy the
FLACs. So what if they can't tell how many times I've played the album? It
shouldn't matter. So what if I burnt a copy for my friend? I'd do that if I
had the CD anyway. It might even make him want to get a copy of the official
artworked album. It might not, but if he isn't treated with condescension by
the label he's probably more likely to think positively about doing so
because he knows that if he does buy a copy in digital format, he'll be able
to do exactly what he would otherwise if he bought a physical copy. And,
buying another digital copy? Higher profit ratio, because of the obvious
savings of not having to press album, print artwork, send out CD...

Why can't the labels see - and most importantly, acknowledge - that the only
way forward which will work is NO DRM?