People are basically honest, and agree
with the idea that artists should get paid.

LOL. Ha ha ha Ha ha ha Ha ha ha.

I think there's actually a more pertinent question, which is this: Why
are people currently paying for things that they could get for free?

Even more pertinently, why are people "stealing", suffering DRM, being
electronic freedom fighters with Oggs etc when there is a wealth of
freely available content already available.

I don't spend a lot of time hunting for podcasts but I have gigs of
great audio and video to consume. Yeah a few BBC but mostly not. I
worry that the big media groups will finally get online but will just
be clunky, expensive and irrelevent. I don't need more content so any
big program libraries are just not appealing. Here's to cool ideas
like Backstage !!

As an aside, I wonder why the BBC can't be producing more original
podcast content. For example, Grammar Girl - great show, dynamic and
educational. Hardly has a Holywood budget. Why are the BBC shows so
sanitized and sterile e.g. Digital Planet??!? They are hardly
stretching the medium either and sound like recycled radio.

To answer my own question, I think people mostly pirate stuff partly
to feel like 'winning' or beating the system. Good old greed which you
won't ever get rid of with any technology :-)

Yours cynically,
Davy

--
Davy Mitchell