David,

The files transferred using iPlayer are just .AVI wrappers of MPEG-4 type
content.   The DRM is inside the AVI wrapper, outside of the MPEG-4.

On 19/06/07, David Woodhouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 12:50 +0100, David Greaves wrote:
> DRM, being technological, cannot turn a blind eye to the law. The law
> is supposed to be a bit fuzzy.

DRM doesn't even cope with the clear-cut cases without screwing the
consumer over, let alone the 'fuzz'.

My partner is a high school teacher, and is therefore covered by the ERA
licensing scheme¹ -- effectively she's allowed to record BBC (and other)
content and use it for educational purposes without many restrictions at
all.

From DVB this is nice and easy -- I stream MPEG to a file and she can do
what she likes with it. (Well, I then do what she tells me she'd like.)

Does the misguided iPlayer DRM scheme allow this? I'm not on the trial
(perhaps my Linux/PowerPC hosts weren't considered suitable?) but I
strongly suspect not.

--
dwmw2

¹ http://www.era.org.uk/about_era.html