On 09/07/07, Oliver Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 21:30 +0100, Brendan Quinn wrote:
> I was considering entering a hack for Hack Day around that very thing.
> But then they went and made me one of the judges ;-)
>
> Wanna help? A simple set of scripts that scrape the archive (er I mean
> "call that big RESTful API") and post entries/updates to the freebase
> sandbox server would be an interesting experiment.

I've not yet (bulk) posted data on Freebase - I'll take a look at this
when I'm more au fait with it.

> compare
> http://www.freebase.com/view/?id=%239202a8c04000641f8000000000012406
> with
> http://open.bbc.co.uk/catalogue/infax/series/DOCTOR+WHO
> !

Freebase is still in alpha as far as I know - those who can't see the
first link can see a screenshot at:
http://cornflakes.imen.org.uk/~oli/DrWho.png

Those who are particularly interested can feel free to ask me for one of
my remaining 4 invites - and I imagine Brendan has some too.

> There may be some rights issues around what would basically amount to
> opening up the programme catalogue under the creative commons
> attribution license, where the attribution wouldn't go to the BBC but to
> Freebase...

Well, the RDF for the catalogue links to
http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/05/api_licence.html:

"The BBC grants to You a ... non-sublicensable right to copy..."

Further:

d. not publish, distribute or otherwise make the APIs available,
(including in any Work You create), in a way that would enable other
people to download or use the APIs other than as set out in this
Licence.

standard backstage API licence -  it was the only one lying around at
the time... (nov 2005)

I don't see any legal way that we can export the data to Freebase and
relicense it as CC-BY.

yeah... the attribution back to BBC kinda matters... though given the
programmes are clearly BBC programmes, I'm not sure it's the end of
the world...

Would you be able to get the appropriate BBC people to get this done?

I'll do a bit of lobbying...