On 7/29/07, Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
(boring DRM invective deleted)

Also why does the BBC trust's report not mention the fact that not
> only is iPlayer Windows only, it is IE only? Did the BBC not tell them
> they where doing this? Why can't it work with Firefox? iplayer:// can
> be made to run iPlayer from Firefox it's not exactly tricky is it? Or
> do you use some dodgy way of invoking iPlayer from IE? (or is it no
> longer IE only?)

I asked just this question; and the answer is the invocation of the iPlayer
is some kind of ActiveX nastiness. Everything else works just fine with
Firefox, but the team made the sensible decision to make the entire site
"not work", rather than allow you to get all the way to choosing a programme
and then be told you can't. It *is* on the roadmap to be sorted, though; as
is the Mac/Linux issue.

On 7/30/07, Nico Morrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But for heavens sake BBC - put a proper forum up, not this manky
> 'messageboard'.

The manky messageboard is the BBC's "DNA" system, which talks correctly to
the single sign-on service, and does other useful fancy things. There's a
lot of work going on behind the scenes; much of what I see of the BBC's
current web infrastructure (now I'm inside) is very Web0.5, but that's being
sorted. Don't panic. (That previous sentence was, I note, an unintended pun,
given that 'DNA' is actually based on the H2G2 engine.)

//j

http://james.cridland.net/