On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 06:54:49PM +0100, Adam Leach wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> On 29/07/07, mike chamberlain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Options 3, Buy an off the shelf solution and use it. Bonus points if
>>> the people whose content your licensing are happy with it and will
>>> endemnify you against someone cracking it.
>>>
>> Yes use an Off the shelf solution, provided it satisfies the criteria
>> "Platform Neutral". The BBC's claim "We had no choice but to use MS
>> DRM" is clearly false as there where 2 perfectly good options.
>>
> What are these two perfectly good options that could provide the same
> fuctionality as Microsoft DRM & Kontiki.

Write a DRM system themselves OR pay someone to write a DRM system.

As for alternates to Kontiki then there are plenty of P2P type systems
which are more cross-platform without even going to those lengths.

Now there may well be good reasons for not writing something yourself
or contracting a third party.  Namely time to market.  However they
are valid alternatives.  Alternatives the senior management should
have considered.

That leaves us two versions of what might have occurred.

1) The senior management did not consider these alternatives.  Which
   seems a little short-sighted (and the original Andy would probably
   say negligent).

2) That time-to-market and maybe cost-issues (although long-term costs
   would be hard to factor in) were considered far more important than
   cross-platform issues and the concomitant loss of goodwill.

It also seems inevitable that a Kontiki/Microsoft DRM based solution is
unlikely to be a valid long-term solution.  We have the Mac/Linux issues
(I assume Vista can be solved pretty quickly) as well as (at some future
date) people wanting to use mobile viewers and off-the-shelf set-top
boxes (which usually aren't based off of a Windows code-base).

--
Andy Leighton => [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   - Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_