Martin,

Did you read this?

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/comment/0,,2175214,00.html

Comment
------------------------------
 If you think the nation decides, think again

Via phone-in, vote and blog, a vocal minority appears to be speaking for the
silent majority

*Carol Sarler
Sunday September 23, 2007
The Observer <http://www.observer.co.uk/>*

Pity the poor BBC. No, come on: you really must when, to top all its recent
troubles, jobs are threatened over no greater or lesser a matter than the
naming of Blue Peter's bloody cat. The story so far goes that the producers
asked the audience to pick a name for the critter, but when the votes were
totted up, the winner - rumoured to have been either 'Pussy' or, apparently
equally dodgy in street slang, 'Cookie' - was at first deemed inappropriate,
so they fibbed and declared victory for 'Socks'. Heaps of shame, tons of
opprobrium, inquisition to follow.

I do not blame the BBC for the fib, well-intended as it was to deflect
playground cackles. Nor do I think its fib was the greatest mendacity
involved: six-year-olds do not call their cats Pussy or Cookie, neither do
they have sufficient grasp of double entendre to do it for sport. Good money
says the votes were cast not by children at all, but by the kind of people -
indeed, probably the exact same people - who enjoy the unparalleled hilarity
of calling themselves Jedi on a census form.

But that is why I do blame the BBC for offering the vote in the first place,
be it on Blue Peter, on Strictly Come Dancing or on any of the rash of
programming stunts that permit the bold declaration: 'You, the nation,
decides!' It sounds fearfully modern and embraces buzzwords like
'interactive' and 'inclusive'; in fact, all it is doing is adding to the
already alarming degree of power held by meaningless, self-selected samples.

The communications media have always been especially susceptible to these
groups; broadcasters refer to switchboards being 'jammed with complaints'
that actually number perhaps 80 out of the 10 million who watched a show.
The 80 will have been agitated by a predictable pushing of buttons -
cussing, for instance - that matters greatly to them, but little to the
millions. By the same token, the Disgusteds of Tunbridge Wells might muster
only a dozen letters to the editor on a single subject but, on a national
newspaper, that is usually enough to guarantee publication of at least one.
So be it; t'was ever thus.

These days, however, in what some like to believe is democratisation ably
assisted by technology, minority viewpoints are becoming jolly noisy. The
advent of phone-in radio has expanded to fill entire networks 24 hours a
day, as small numbers of citizens snuggle up together, warmed by the
illusion that because their views are shared they are widely shared.

Email has allowed for a massive growth in pyramid protest: if somebody is
thought to have committed insult, one person emails 10 who each email 10
more, passing on a cut-and-paste letter to the offending person or
organisation that then pings in by the hundred, regardless of how many of
the protesters ever saw or heard the original 'insult' (transsexuals and
Cliff Richard fans, for some reason, are particularly quick off the mark).

In print, the web now facilitates and even encourages readers to enjoin in
dialogue. Last week, for example, I wrote a defence on these pages of
scientists trying to breed pigs which might one day provide hearts for human
transplant. Within hours, a reader had posted the warning that, given our
souls reside in our hearts, recipients would thus have the souls of pigs. It
matters not that you or I or a million other Observer readers would know
immediately that this is a chap to avoid at full moon; he selected himself
as a contributor to the blog, we did not.

And so what? you cry. Shall we deny him his say? What manner of libertarian
would disallow a voice? Not this one, certainly: pig-botherers
notwithstanding, bring them on - the expansion of communication is one of
the attributes of this generation of which we can be properly proud.

But, and it is a big but, if self-selected samples of opinion are to
continue to expand, so should our caution in estimating their value.
Instead, we seem to be more, not less, slipshod in our interpretation to the
point where we confuse volume as in noise with volume as in quantity.

The eight out of 10 cat-owners who expressed a preference are now just too
clumsy to be bothered with. When Ant and Dec, or that breathy girl from The
X Factor, announce that 'the nation has chosen', they skip the bit about
'the bunch of sad gits who stay home on Saturdays and waste money on
premium-rate telephone calls has chosen' (self included, by the way).

We devour survey results, careless of method: last week, a poll 'revealed'
that two out of three people are unhappy. Now, leaving aside that I'd give
teeth to see how the questions were phrased, what this actually meant was
that two out of three people who have nobody more interesting to talk to
than a pollster are unhappy, a truth, I'd have thought, by definition.
Moreover, in their loneliness, these people selected themselves as surely as
throngs select themselves for focus groups.

Those who make money from progressively fashionable focus groups boast of
their cross-sections of age, sex, race and so forth. But, again, they
overlook what really matters: that their guinea pigs are aliens from a
distant planet where a few tenners and a sticky bun are considered a sane
reward for the mind-numbing tedium that is an evening's focus group.

Even a jury's verdict is likely, now, to be the opinion of a self-selected
sample. Where once, in sterner times, a cross-section was reasonably
achievable as everyone did his duty, these days, limousine liberals are
adept at deferring jury service, leaving the defendant's fate largely in the
hands of the unemployed and the unemployable who select themselves or,
rather, fail to deselect themselves and are about as socially representative
as Diddly Squat.

Self-selected samples, by and large, appear to relish their day in the sun.
But while markets and manipulators invest in research, surveys, psychology,
profiles and debriefings from the rising cacophony, it is a curiosity that,
quite possibly, the more we listen to what some people say, the less we know
about what - or even if - most people think.

--
Please email me back if you need any more help.

Brian Butterworth
www.ukfree.tv