On 30/10/2007, Richard Lockwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Dave doesn't mean sharing.  Dave means stealing and redistributing
> > > for free.  When he says sharing, Dave always means stealing.  Dave wants
> > > everything for nothing.
> >
> > This is simply untrue: non-commercial redistribution allow a lot of
> > scope for business, without trampling friendship, neighborlinesses and
> > community.
>
> But that's not what you advocate.

I just said something, and you're telling me that is not what I am saying? WTF?

> You advocate the wholesale copying and
> redistributing, however and whenever you feel like it.  Your arguments have
> got absolutely nothing to do with neighbourliness and community, and
> everything to do with wanting to enjoy the fruits of someone elses work
> without giving anything in return.

Magnatune.com dude.

> > Usually when I say free, I am referring to freedom, not price.
>
> That's rubbish.  Utter, utter rubbish.

The last 6 months or so I have been _very_ careful to say "zero price"
when I mean free-as-in-beer.

> You copy a CD and give it to your
> mate, that's all about money

No, its about friendship.

> or rather it's all about not wanting to pay
> money.  Your friend may think that CD's overpriced and so wouldn't pay the
> (say) ten quid asking price, but he wants it badly enough to get you to copy
> it.  For free.

Perhaps he'll go to a gig by the band or send them money in some other
way, and there is nothing stopping anyone from doing that. But now it
is possible to make copies of digitally encoded information for
friends, that is now a basic aspect of friendship. Prince, Radiohead,
and many up-and-coming bands, understand this. The writing has been on
the wall for over a decade.

> It's not an intellectual freedom that you're arguing

No, because that's to do with modification, which is only neccessary
for functional works, not artistic ones.

> it's
> a purely financial gain that you're after.  He's quite likely to buy you a
> beer, or fix your dripping tap for nothing at some point in the future.

Right - other aspects of friendship. Or do you never buy friends beers
and charge them for fixing their taps? lol

> > Making a copy for your friend is not stealing. Thinking of information
> > as property i a mirage.
>
> You're talking out of your arse, parroting fashionable views you've read
> elsewhere without an original thought or point of view.  Your real worry is
> that if you have to pay for anything it'll affect the amount you can pay
> into your pension plan.

I am paid more than average for people my age, and I have large
savings so I don't have to worry about money in any case. Why the
personal attacks Richard?

> Face it - you're just backing a system which ensures you can get the maximum
> return for the least input - but you're telling yourself that you're a
> footsoldier in some imaginary intellectual war.  Get over it and pay for
> stuff like everyone else.

lol

--
Regards,