On 10/31/07, Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 31/10/2007, Richard Lockwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'm not saying you *don't* ever buy music.  Once you've bought it though
> -
> > you want to copy it and give it to other people so they don't have to
> pay
> > for it.
>
> And what precisely is wrong with people wanting to copy stuff. Are you
> denying you copy things? Did you not copy this message (From you ESP's
> server to your machines RAM, then probably to the hard disk, maybe
> into RAM again, onto a display unit)? (there was a time when the UK
> Patent Office claimed that displaying something constituted copying)
>
> If I buy a CD for £9 (seems about the going rate for a CD on HMV.com)
> then that's extremely over priced if I am buying the medium (blank
> CD's are a few pence). If however (as many argue) I am paying for the
> information encoded onto the disc itself (you would probably call that
> creativity, I don't because if I could encode creativity itself onto a
> disc then I would be a very rich man) then why should I not take it
> off the disc and put the data somewhere else?
>
> Why is it so morally wrong for me to transfer something I have payed
> for from it's transmission medium (CD) and place it on another storage
> device I may own, e.g. PC hard drive, MP3 player, Network Streaming
> Server, Cassette, etc. (I may or may not posses all of those btw.)

It's not.  If you'd read the rest of the email, rather than picking and
choosing quotes that appear to help you make your moral point, you'd've
found the following:

"You're suggesting that everyone has the right to copy anything and
everything, when, how and where they like, not for personal backups, or to
play in the car when they've got the CD at home, or to get their mates into
their new favourite band, but to give to their friends so they can avoid
paying any money for it. "

It's the last bit that's important.  There's nothin morally repugnant about
copying for your own use - of course there isn't.  Copying and giving away
is another matter entirely.

Rich.