On 27/11/2007, Richard Lockwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> No real technical details, more a re-hashed press release, but an
> interesting idea nontheless.

How can this possible go live in a few months? (2008 starts in a few
weeks if I am not much mistaken).

The trust haven't even approved it. And the BBC has refused to comply
with it's previous ruling. Need I remind you the BBC Trust said you
must be "Platform Neutral"?

So will Kangaroo* be "Platform Neutral"? If not it looks unlikely the
trust will sign off on it given their previous comments about the
iPlayer (was there ever a huger waste of money? Except maybe the
Dome).

Is it going to be standards based (only way to actually be platform
neutral as some platform consist mainly of custom designed hardware
which need to know the precise operating details to get high
performance.)?

Are we going to be allowed to improve it, bug fix it, security scan
it, verify it's not a trojan etc.?

Nice to see a complete lack of detail though, now where did I put my
document on making an FOI request, (technically a written request here
would most likely count, after all it's written, has a name and has an
address.)

> (Waits for this news to descend into "DRM-Bad, Free-Good!!" ranting...)

I see no mention of DRM in either article, neither do I see the term
"Digital Rights Management".

Helpfully the BBC have made sure to hide every single even slightly
technical detail from view. What precisely are you hiding?

The only vaguely technical detail appears to be that it is designed to
work over broadband, wow I couldn't have guessed that!

What platforms are we talking about? Is it going to be truly platform
neutral or is the BBC going to have to rewrite the old iPlayer to
comply with your regulator (or as appears to be the intended plan
refuse to comply with the regulator)

What protocols and formats will be used?

Will it be as awfully as 4OD and iPlayer, using up peoples bandwidth
with no control what-so-ever (BitTorrent clients have supported
throttling for years)? Odd how the BBC can have such a huge
development time, such a huge spending and still end up with a vastly
inferior product when compared to free alternatives.

Will it permit user written extensions?

Will it support third party access via Open API's?

Andy

* Is the name Kangaroo meant to be some joke about bouncing back after
the disaster that was the first offerings?
--
Computers are like air conditioners.  Both stop working, if you open windows.
                -- Adam Heath