From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Andy
Sent: Tue 11/27/2007 7:42 PM
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: Re: [backstage] Broadcasters to launch joint VoD service

On 27/11/2007, Nick Reynolds-A&Mi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> BBC management did not "refuse to comply" with the Trust's previous "ruling"

Sorry. I seem to have a little problem finding the Platform Neutral
versions of iPlayer. Could you perhaps provide a URL it would make it
much easier to find.

And now I quote from the BBC themselves:
> There may always be a small percentage that one can not also support.
> The cost of reaching those people is not the best use of the license fee.
> Mr Highfield from:
> <http://blip.tv/file/get/Cubicgarden-backstagebbccoukAshleyHighfieldOnIPlayer648.ogg>
(Transcript may not be 100% accurate, transcribing in real time is
tricky, and the quality isn't perfect.)

So stating there are some platforms that will not be supported
indicates "platform neutral" how?
The ruling was to provide platform neutrality as soon as practically
possible (correct me if that's not correct.)

How long does it take to upload your protocol and format
specifications? That certainly would be platform neutral.

And where is iPlayer's source code? How on earth do you intend to make
a binary platform neutral, isn't the iPlayer binary tied to the x86
platform? Platform Neutral means you can't chose a platform and only
support that one.

The only real question is time frame, how long does it take to upload
the source code (which is the only way to get it neutral of the CPU
architecture apart from releasing specifications)?

Hmm, let me do some rough maths. Assuming a 1Mbps upload (the BBC
almost certainly has that at least internally to the servers) and a
maximum source code size of 1 gig (that is many times large than the
entire Linux kernel source) you get:

1 * 2^30 / 1 * 10^6 ~= 1074 seconds.
thats under 20 minutes.

Even if I am a factor of one thousand out that still only takes 2 weeks.

iPlayer was launched several months ago and the BBC has not done
something that would make iPlayer more neutral despite it taking less
than 20 minutes. How is that in any way complying with the Trusts
request to make iPlayer cross platform in a reasonable time frame?

> Both management and the Trust have agreed that the Player will be platform
> neutral
> (indeed the management's position has always been that the Player will be
> platform
> neutral) - the only question is how and when

The above quote would indicate otherwise. You do know what the word
neutral means right?
If it was always meant to be platform neutral then how did you
generate the least portable system possible?

> Kangaroo is a commercial proposition from BBC Worldwide -
> and these usually don't take as long to approve

Won't the trust find it a little odd that one part of the BBC spent
millions producing a Video On Demand Client and now another part wants
to spend even more money on producing another client that's not
compatible?

Why didn't you just do it correctly first time around?

And seems the BBC claims it has to obey copyright law, perhaps you
would care to explain why you copied my entire email and claimed it
was written by someone else?

And more importantly, why did you just send a suspicious file in you email?
What are you doing sending .dat files anyway?

Andy

--
Computers are like air conditioners.  Both stop working, if you open windows.
                -- Adam Heath