On 05/12/2007, Noah Slater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Would you argue that we don't live in a free society because I am not
> allowed to gag you when you're saying something I don't like? By your
> arguments I should have this freedom.

Your analogy would only hold true if code was an action or perhaps property,
not a written simply expression that cannot be suppressed. If I write some
code it doesn't matter what anyone else does with it, my code is written and
out in the open.

Some freedoms need to be protected by PREVENTING people from doing
> certain things.

I agree, but those things should be as minimal as possible; in the case of
speech I am of the opinion that only speech that puts people in direct harm
should be stopped. In the case of code, once it's created nothing can stop
it. It's a set of 1s and 0s that can be copied ad infinitum, just because
one person or group of people take that code and do something I don't like
with it, doesn't mean 100 others can't do something good with it. My code
hasn't been "gagged" a million others are free to use it.

Vijay.