If the HTML is fairly standardized (I see that the datestamp is both
in the metatags and in the body), it's even easier to add or change
the presentation of datestamps, just a text operation which I'd take
over a fancy CMS any day of the week. Static pages can be great for
performance, reliability, ease of backup, standards validation,
subcontracting for translation, etc. Massive changes are simplified
since they can be done on nonlive and distributed servers and
previewed offline with any browser or even errorchecked automatically.
Sed, awk, perl, python are all adapted to that task. I used a CMS a
few years ago which was quite limited (only one media file per record)
and as a kludge we generated static HTML popups with multiple media
choices as the "media file". The intranet IP addresses were hardcoded
in the HTML so we were worried when server change time came, but we
updated 16,000 static pages in under an hour with sed. As I recall,
before running the script we were concerned about intense disk
activity and there was a suggestion to do the edits in a RAMdisk, in
which case only a few minutes would have been necessary.

It's true that a light grey background with the year might be a good
idea for old content, but myself I'd sooner stick with live text, just
present it a tad larger on top and with the year on the bottom of the
page.

Sean.