David Greaves wrote:
Fair enough - but this is <awe+reverence>The BBC News</awe+reverence>

So getting it right (and not misleading) should trump the mere impossible :)

IIRC some time ago (months/years) there was something vaguely
fraudulent/misleading/prankish that was backed by an out-of-context but genuine
BBC story whose date was not obvious.

And it still doesn't excuse the front page dynamic links being 'gamed' to point
to a years old piece. I expect 'most emailed' to be limited to stories from the
last few days.

I confess that I've been surprised in the past by old links in the "most read" and "most emailed" lists.

Interestingly, the 4th-most emailed "story" at the time of writing is:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/education/07/school_tables/primary_schools/html/212_2180.stm

Which isn't a story at all...