On Jan 7, 2008 10:02 PM, Steve Jolly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> David Greaves wrote:
> > Fair enough - but this is <awe+reverence>The BBC News</awe+reverence>
> >
> > So getting it right (and not misleading) should trump the mere
> impossible :)
>  >

> > IIRC some time ago (months/years) there was something vaguely
> > fraudulent/misleading/prankish that was backed by an out-of-context but
> genuine
> > BBC story whose date was not obvious.
> >
> > And it still doesn't excuse the front page dynamic links being 'gamed'
> to point
> > to a years old piece. I expect 'most emailed' to be limited to stories
> from the
> > last few days.
>
> I confess that I've been surprised in the past by old links in the "most
> read" and "most emailed" lists.
>
> Interestingly, the 4th-most emailed "story" at the time of writing is:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/education/07/school_tables/primary_schools/html/212_2180.stm
>
> Which isn't a story at all...

> Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please
>  Unofficial list archive:

Is it not based on the most emailed/read stories this day/week? I'm not sure
of the timeframe. If so, then it might be the case that an old story has
particluar relevance to a current event, and perhaps it's inclusion in the
list is more justified. It does make sense however to say that only the most
recent stories are allowed, therefore forcing the most up to date
information to users.

The question could be, do you limit content in the 'most read/emailed' list
to ensure accuracy, or allow all content to create diversity and
availability but cause possible confusion/inconsistency.
I think many will agree that the BBC news is the most professional in the
world and this is reflected in the television it produces - so should the
BBC attempt to reflect this directly in it's website with concise,
up-to-date but perhaps limited information, or use the web to increase
flexibility and availability - but with the danger that it may become too
unprofessional and vague? This is also regarding the new BETA page. Just
some thoughts to read at this early hour :)

./Matt