> The first para is the claim is that the high transmission costs are
> currently making DAB unviable for commercial broadcasters. Many DAB
> stations are earning a profit - including, I understand, Planet Rock
and
> the Jazz - but nowhere near the kind of profit margins that commercial

> radio's used to. Fru needed to add to the profit-to-earnings ratio
that
> Fru's shareholders expected at the time to stave off a takeover.
Removing
> the DAB stations assisted her in this. Note that none have actually
closed
> as yet.

I believe theJazz has closed on DAB and has "officially" closed
according to its website.  Interestingly there is still a channel on the
Sky EPG called "theJazz".

Not the first time a channel has closed and remained on Sky - I spotted
the Virgin Radio Groove on Sky in March despite the station having
"closed" at the end of 2007.

PlanetRock on the other hand has a stay of execution until the end of
the month apparently because sale discussions were promising.  That
decision was taken before Global's bid was accepted of course - and
already Gcap have announced the prosponement of some of Fru's plans
(including the sale of its stake in DigitalOne and the sale of two of
the XFM stations)

We now return you to our normal programmes.