Matt Barber wrote:
It's interesting the way the Facebook can pull data from other systems (ie,
your email contacts list) but has no export.

I thought about writing one, I wondered if I would get blocked from doing
it...

I *think* as long as you're logged in as you, and they are your
contacts, I don't see why not - because you could essentially go
through and write each one down on paper, or copy/paste the data. So
getting your own bot to do it doesn't seem that bad?
One thing however, the email addresses are rendered in graphical form
on profile pages, so a bit of OCR would be required.
But do share your results if you try it.

Yup, esp if anyone gets that OCR thing working with free tools.

But I imagine the Facebook team must feel 'damned if we do, damned if we don't'...

I just found  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7376738.stm
"The BBC's technology programme Click has exposed a security flaw in the social networking site Facebook which could compromise privacy."

Oh no! we can't get data out of Facebook!

Oh no! we can get data out of Facebook!

Having been on the 'give us our data back' side of the fence for years, I'm starting to think that argument's been won, and the real issue is how we deal with having gotten our data back. Especially when 'our' is a bit vague; how much information about you do I have a right to extract if we're Facebook buddies?

http://www.slideshare.net/danbri/fear-of-a-foaf-planet
http://www.slideshare.net/danbri/whatever-i-can-get

Figuring out how to help real users make sane choices here, without trying to explain OpenID/Oauth or worse to non-geeks, ... that's the hard problem. I don't think this is just about Facebook hoarding data.

Dan

--
http://danbri.org/