Hello,

You might be interested to learn about a new project that has just
been launched by TheyWorkForYou.com - an online video archive of the
House of Commons, with video clips posted in Flash video format
alongside the text of speeches from Hansard.  You can view them on the
website, or you can embed clips of the individual speeches on your
blog or personal website by copying and pasting a bit of HTML that is
listed below each clip on theyworkforyou.com.  See the blog posting at
http://www.mysociety.org/2008/06/01/video-recordings-of-the-house-of-commons-on-theyworkforyoucom/
for the full announcement.

The key thing now is that we need your help to match up ~28,000
speeches with the video footage (we've already got about 4,300 done).
We've built a really simple, hyper-addictive website for people to
use, complete with league tables and prizes (the rare and coveted
mySociety hoodies).  You can find it right now at
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/video/ - if you want to appear on the
league table then take 30 seconds and register a username.  It's crowd
sourcing applied to video timestamping - using our simple and
remarkably addictive online game (with league tables, and did I
mention the prizes?).

Matching up individual speeches to video cuepoints is actually done in
two stages - firstly, the CaptionerBot makes an approximate match for
some of the speeches in Hansard using the raw BBC captions, and then
we ask the general public to improve on the work of CaptionerBot using
our simple and addictive online game (league table, prizes, etc).

The video is taken from BBC Parliament, chopped up and transcoded into
Flash video format (generic Flash 6, iirc), and served up to the
general public using lighttpd and mod_flv_streaming.  This lets us
give you direct access to any point in the video file just by
specifying a parameter in the URL that indicates seconds elapsed since
the start of the file.  The backend processing system uses lots of
open source software to download and process live footage of the House
of Commons from BBC Parliament (ffmpeg, mplayer, mencoder, yamdi, and
quite a lot of perl), and the BBC web api to get the schedule
information it needs to extract the live coverage.

Now, please help us out by timestamping some video!
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/video/ is the place to be...

All the best,

Etienne
--