Hello there,

I'm a journalist working for BBC East in Norwich and I've joined this mailing
list to get advice and guidance - and possibly some ideas - about a project
I've been working on for the last 6 months.

With the backing of my bosses at Look East and BBC English regions, I've
designed, developed and launched a new graphics-rich e-mail newsletter which we
now send out each day to about 2000 or so subscribers.

This newsletter is hard to describe, but what it does is to aggregate links -
complete with headlines and thumbnail images - to the latest video news items
which appear on the main Look East website, a 'blog' section promoting that
evening's programmes with nested links expanding on the stories being
discussed, drop down menus featuring linking to BBC East regional weather, news
and sport sites and an occasional text ticker which promotes whatever we fancy
- often our local radio stations.

It's conceived primarily as a content delivery vehicle first, then a
promotional tool, a way of combining all the services offered by the BBC in my
region into one tidy package and also a way of elaborating on the stories we're
working on.

To subscribe -temporarily if you want, I won't mind :-) - go here :

Now the thing is, is that I'm a relative novice who is learning as I go along.
What I've learned is that e-mail can only support very basic html and that
there are limits to what features we can incorporate into this newsletter.
However, I'm determined to max out the potential and capacity of this rather
unusual way of delivering BBC content.  Any html tricks, ideas, criticisms,
improvements, widgets or whatever anyone on this mailing list can offer in the
way of developing this newsletter concept, I'd be hugely grateful.  Several
other English regions are toying with the idea of adopting it, so I'm keen on
adding new features, but my technical knowledge is still quite limited.

this whole experience has been really positive for me and I've become quite an
evangelist for e-mail broadcasting, which I want to develop, though the
inherent limitations of e-mail do constrain thigs somewhat (no scripting,
flash, java etc).

This is my baby and I'm throwing it open to y'all to see if some new ideas
emerge.

Cheers

Matt Precey

All new Live Search at Live.com