When at the BBC a couple of years ago i asked who owned copyright on
BBC subtitles with a view to getting a feed onto backstage (remember
the indies... and that subtitle creation is  outsourced at least some
of the time to Red Bee)

answer came there none...

i suspect because no-one had asked the question before, and therefore
getting to an answer was Hard