Yes, it is indeed a pity that OLPC doesn't make XO-1s easily available
outside of the annual G1G1 programme. However, that could change as
they have recently decided to deploy widely in the USA and not just
developing countries.

I have two XO-1s from the previous G1G1s and a third I picked up on
eBay. It's rather magical the way they look for and find each other in
the mesh network. I've actually traveled with a pair instead of my
usual laptop (the 2 XO-1s together aren't larger or heavier). The
rabbit ear antennae pick up networks my other machines didn't know
existed (although the EeePC was a contender). I have a Zoltan Zowii
USB Ethernet adaptor
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/2233561457/), works great
it's supposed to be Wii-compatible too.

Sean