I would tend to agree with you Tom.
The "fun" side of this discussion is that most of the opinions are factual, yet as with the press, many of them will not be true once these changes have passed, especially those with a spoonful of fear factor. I can remember the uproar in the Docklands when the newspapers moved from Fleet Street. I am still looking forward to the day when a collection of great journalists decide to work together, putting their skills online beyond the grasp of publishers and "big business". I think we can all agree that the "old" model of organised news prompted via vested interest is becoming stale in what I hope is a better educated and intelligent world. That is the beauty of sharing online..... with or without compensation. Not to stir up a huge nest, but I must also point out that for over a decade now the business community has watched the internet with a mixture of greed and confusion. At the same time, the speed of evolution has taken most by surprise. The BBC still suffers from this, in many areas. The current Banking crisis is a great example. The velocity within the market has allowed those with the knowledge to do some incredible things, whilst the majority of Boardrooms/Governments have sat back in wonder. Very soon, the generation at the top will be actually net literate, which will save us all!
Meanwhile I am certain that quality will win eventually.
In my sphere of the music industry, there are actually many more Artists now making money from performing and selling their music.... and they are mostly becoming enlightened by the fact that it can be done without interest from the major record labels. No amount of economic structure or business models can stop someone who is prepared to generate an audience through hard work. Although the antique system does try its hardest. I think it is a very exciting time for journalists..... I get my reports delivered by email from all over the world..... they mostly turn up on the TV news about a month later. I no longer have to buy a week's fish and chips paper covered in adverts to read some anonymous twaddle, a very British past-time, to find some interest.... still it is also true that the journalists who I read do not ask me to contribute to them as yet. I will be happy to in future..... but I won't be paying the middle man again if I can help it.
Regards
Rich