On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 12:56, Sean DALY <sdaly...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that the BBC's strategy is to treat the UK and
> rest-of-world markets differently, with a profit orientation on the
> World side. Technical geolocalisation solutions are indeed doomed to
> failure in my view. Those sly devils at Google showed me a sponsored
> link last week promising international access to UK iPlayer through a
> proxy.

Oh, you can do it. People will pay if the product’s of a good standard
and not subject to ridiculous delays and impediments. Personally, I’m
in favour of liberalising some of the restrictions upon BBCW (provided
it doesn’t impact negatively upon the FTA efforts within the UK).
People often resort to downloads because they -have- to in order to
get the output they want on their terms, rather than because it's
free. (Anecdotal personal example: I’m more than capable of
downloading films from BitTorrent, and have a dim view much of the
movie industry, but I rent movies from iTunes instead—it’s fast, it’s
easy, it’s convenient, and it doesn’t cost the earth).

> As a former musician and record producer, you'll have no pity from me
> for the rapacious vultures of the music biz :-)

the daft thing is, much of it’s been so depressingly predictable from
very early on. so much of it’s been avoidable.

> But I'm speaking generally about digital disruption. The free-to-air
> model is now the free-to-world model. I'm actually much more worried
> about newspapers.

The newspapers are fixable. Perhaps not -as- newspapers in many cases
(though you’ll prize my magazine subscriptions from my cold, dead
hands), but by becoming far more efficient at collating and
redistributing news and—most importantly—the expert commentary on it;
the latter being something news.bbc.co.uk only provides minimal
amounts of.

Free-to-air _can_ be free-to-world, but it doesn’t necessarily follow
that it WILL be—that more depends upon the content than anything else
(and it doesn’t have to be FTA in the first place, of course). The
only real solution, though, is to capitalise on the overseas markets:
business models wholly reliant upon it being difficult and
uneconomical for consumers (on whichever side of the law) to ship
content from one side of the world to the other weren’t ever going to
last forever. That was the monopoly period—the breathing space to
develop the models and form the alliances and dip toes in waters—which
as with any other, has a limited lifespan.

M.