Please. Only conspiracy theories allowed here.  Move along:)

"However, don't get me wrong - it would be nice if there were more
flexibility regarding the portability of protected content, but instead of
many very smart people expending huge amounts of effort demonising DRM,
maybe it would be better spent constructively, on finding a solution that
will help protect investments and be "Free" software friendly?"

Sounds good in all seriousness, would be interested to take part in *that*
discussion.

Alia

Chris Warren wrote:

Time for me to unlurk :-)

I'm pretty sure everyone knows by now that no-matter what DRM system is in
place, it can be circumvented. But in the end that doesn't really matter -
it's all just a case of being seen to be doing one's best to protect
investments.

Someone isn't going to finance content for you if you can't promise you'll
do your utmost, through agreements with 3rd parties (e.g. broadcasters) and
all the technical and legal measures available to you, to protect their
investment, however futile that may be.

That isn't crazy - if you were investing in a risky venture, you'd still
want promises that those you were investing in would try to minimise risks.

However, don't get me wrong - it would be nice if there were more
flexibility regarding the portability of protected content, but instead of
many very smart people expending huge amounts of effort demonising DRM,
maybe it would be better spent constructively, on finding a solution that
will help protect investments and be "Free" software friendly?

Chris