On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 11:49, Dave Crossland <d...@lab6.com> wrote:
> 2010/1/28 Daniel Morris <daniel.mor...@bbc.co.uk>:
>>
>> > Sorry, I didn't realise we were back in the 1970s where the software that
>> > runs on the iPhone can be called an operating system.
>>
>> Am I missing something - how is it not an OS? :)
>
> Apple actively oppose you installing whatever you want to, and running
> applications in the background, on the iPhone and now on the iPad.
>
> These are features of any respectable operating system since the 70s.

No, these are features of any operating system designed for use by
computer users.

> If you own your computer, it ought to be under your control. Apple
> computers are not. The ultimate answer is 100% free software.

The same applies to your car, central heating system, ADSL router,
Freeview box, TV and most mobile phones...

and while a laudable goal, the people who won't buy one of those
things for this reason is in the minority, principally because a) you
need to find someone to actually make the thing and sell it at a
reasonable price, and b) the alternatives often aren't that good (in
other words, the freedom is a great big trade-off).

Point of note, though, it's a "computer" in the technical sense, in
the same way that all mobile phones are "computers". Really, though,
it's CE. Adjust expectations accordingly. What it isn't, and
specifically isn't claimed to be (though lots of people would
certainly like one) is a tablet-form-factor Mac.

M.