On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Andrew Bowden wrote:

It should work.  But not everything will work.  The EPG probably won't,
nor the Now and Next.  You're unlikely to get "traditional teletext".
And if you're German, you won't get the menus in German.

As a German would you buy a UK set top box?

As a Brit would you buy a German set top box?

The problem is more fundamental than this. The problem is that the free market likely will be throttled even *within the UK* by Canvas.

We don't have sufficient plans/specs yet to say for sure, but given prior history wrt the BBCs' actions with iPlayer there is strong cause to worry that Canvas will be locked down and that all 3rd party applications will require some kind of approval by a centralised body before being allowed general access to the device. This inherently implies a stifling of the market.

Whereas before, where the BBC broadcast a signal according to some public standard and where many device makers independently innovated and built devices to receive/display that signal, with Canvas there is a very clear risk that a very small number of organisations will have rubber-stamping power over which device and software makers do and do not get access.

Despite the fact I respect the BBC and the people within it, and that I believe they are good people working in good faith for the public benefit, I can not believe that it is ever a good idea to centralise the process for access to a markets (other than for very limited regulatory reasons such as to enforce safety regs or provide arbitration services).

Let device makers remain able to innovate independently.

In practical terms, I want to remain able to buy cheap Chinese (or whatever) "TV" electronics - where those devices are built to support a number of global standards, and the vendors do not have the ability to co-ordinate crypto keys, etc.. with some UK specific body.

NB: Reply-to is set to both my personal address and the list address. Not sure if all list software or MUAs handle that appropriately. Please check addresses on any reply.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      p...@jakma.org  Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: