On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Anthony McKale wrote:

Replace BBC with iPlayer and I'd agree with some of those points, it's more a indifference and lack of care rather than being directly hostile though.

I have to say, that's not true. The BBC has expended extra effort on:

a) Implementing newer and less laughable content protection
   mechanisms

b) Shutting out "unauthorised" clients (never mind that the BBC
   should /never/ have the power to "authorise" viewing devices)

It has done these things several times over the course of a number of years. There's just no way you can call that "indifference" and "lack of care" - it's clearly a high-level policy.

If your point is that the BBC didn't mean to class free-software clients as "unauthorised", or that it's indifference that has meant the BBC hasn't gotten round to "authorising" free-software clients, then I think you may be missing the point. (With all due respect):

It's simply inevitable, given that policy, that the BBCs' resources will never be enough to cover all the clients that might wish to be "authorised". The BBC has chosen to focus its resources on "authorising" the devices of, primarily, large manufacturers.

The BBC has consciously decided to not bother with "authorising" free-software clients (be it at a per-user or a per-software level). I know this for a fact, because I applied for such and have had not any reply once I made clear what I wanted to have authorised.

Of course, none of this changes the fact that real "content protection" is a pipe-dream - all such schemes are very brittle. The likes of get_iplayer will continue to exist and work. It's just a shame the BBC makes fine technical people waste their effort on trying to block such clients.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      p...@jakma.org  Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: