It's proably the h264 decoder of the flash player, it's quite buggy and a
bit of a cpu hog,

Good news is adobe are making it better all the time, so a lot of the early
buggyiness is gone, it's just the cpu concerns that are about,

You'll see a big cpu spike of h264 compared to the other v6 and sozernson
flash codecs,

Ant

On 10/01/2011 12:43, "Christopher Woods" <chris...@infinitus.co.uk> wrote:

> I got a Lenovo IdeaPad S12 netbook with an integrated NVIDIA ION GPU for
> Christmas :-) It's a 1.6GHz device which I can easily top out the CPU on,
> but with DXVA support and an HDMI port it becomes an ideal low-cost HTPC
> substitute for occasional viewing.
>
> The first thing I set off to try was the GPU-accelerated 720p and 1080p DXVA
> support, which works beautifully. With the latest Adobe Flash plugin,
> YouTube (and a few other sites) also happily play 1080p. However, I can
> barely manage to play the HQ SD videos on the iPlayer, with even worse
> results on the HD content - although Flash can (and should) hardware
> accelerate any H.264 material it renders, for some reason it's not kicking
> in on the iPlayer vids.
>
> If I get_iplayer an HD programme and then play it back in Media Player
> Classic, it plays beautifully, so GPU horsepower isn't the problem here.  Is
> this a known issue or is there something specific about the coding of the
> web player? (any insight appreciated)
>
> Cheers
> Chris
>
> -
> Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please
> Unofficial list archive:

Anthony McKale, Platformian Soldier
Mob : 07912981657
Internal Phone : (02 776) 64470
BBC FMT Children's, TVC East Tower, Floor 1, Room E164