> get_iplayer doesn't attempt any transcoding of video - it
> just remuxes the flv into mp4

And also to the suggestion of using python script Kieran... I'm not *quite*
that nerdy to pipe my video through mplayer, I usually give up in
frustration before getting it working! ;-)

I ended up giving XBMC v10 a spin, with the iplayer video add-on and DXVA
enabled in the options it works beautifully with BBC HD material. Couple of
crashes here and there but that was me taxing the machine a bit too much
possibly.

Can't get MythTV to even install, I'm using the premade compile by the
Australian (linked from the MythTV wiki) but there seems to be no MySQL
installation even though his installer should have set it up. To be honest,
if XBMC works on an ongoing basis as neatly as it did just now, I'm quite
happy with that. (and so is the netbook!)

@Anthony - I've noticed that also, my main PC (with a 9800GTX+ in it) has
full hardware acceleration support for videos with fullscreen overlays and
generally always looks good. But then the quad core would handle software
rendering no probs. XBMC's iplayer plugin also streams the live channels and
red button along with the on-demand content, and you can force HQ and format
preferences wherever available... Loving that! Now to go install the
TVCatchup add-on and compare stream quality ;)

I know this doesn't solve the problem of why the /iplayer player seemingly
can't initialise the hardware for doing the H.264 heavy lifting and I'll
keep on investigating in that respect. Been experimenting with Chrome, IE9
and will try Opera later but don't have much hopes without getting hold of a
debug version and trying to force some options (and I've not used Flash for
a faiiiir while so that'll be a nice journey into the unknown). In the
meantime, XBMC's the simplest way to get it working - really impressed with
how much it's come on since I last used it (which was on a modded Xbox 1st
gen).