There's a wmode u can add to speed up iplayer (wmode=gpu) by making flash
write directly to the gpu screen buffer instead of the screen buffer, or a
canvas inside the broqwser (wmode=transparent) unfortunately all the tests I
did showed gpu wmode isn't quite ready for production (a bit flaky on some
browsers)

If you full screen the flash player you'll see it do graphics card
allecration in some browser, were some browsers is probably the most
interesting point,

Different browsers slightly different implementation :)

Ant

On 10/01/2011 14:00, "Christopher Woods" <chris...@infinitus.co.uk> wrote:

>> It might not handle Main profile maybe? I'd hazard a guess
>> that YouTube stuff is all Baseline...
>>
>> (though this doesn't explain my MPC would play it all back
>> swimmingly unless there's some transcoding voodoo going on
>> rather than just
>> re-containering)
>
> I can assure you that MPC (with either its inbuilt ffmpeg decoder, or using
> external CoreAVC 2.0) plays back get_iplayer sourced BBC HD content
> absolutely perfectly, and I specifically download using the --raw flag to
> avoid any transcoding. The test files themselves remain as-is as .flv files
> and I can just drop them into MPC, VLC or smplayer (etc) for playback.
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if it's the way that the iPlayer web player
> 'engages' the Flash hardware acceleration (if this is done at all by the
> developer, as opposed to being purely automatic). Failing that, if there's
> more than one way to initialise a video decode, I'm wondering if the BBC's
> using an older method for compatibility purposes, at the expense of hardware
> acceleration on devices such as mine that would otherwise be able to do it
> (and can do, as I've proven to myself)
>
> I'll deffo go and investigate mythtv and Boxee right now, for some reason I
> completely forgot to experiment with those already!
>
> -
> Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please
> Unofficial list archive:

Anthony McKale, Platformian Soldier
Mob : 07912981657
Internal Phone : (02 776) 64470
BBC FMT Children's, TVC East Tower, Floor 1, Room E164