On 09/02 05:09 , David Relson wrote:
> For the curious, the locate command indicates I have 2927627 files
> using 46 GB of the single partition HD.

that's a healthy number. the box I have with the most files, only has 3/4
million (developer's workstation). that will likely change as I'm now
backing up a mailserver that has 2000 users, gets several GB of mail a day,
and they're all running Maildir now...

> With that large file count, it's not surprising that BackupPC_dump
> needs a lot of memory. The big question is whether the memory is being
> used efficiently.  I'd rather not add more ram to the box, but if
> that's the only way to do backups, then I'll have to do so.

AFAIK, that's what you have to do. I wouldn't recommend less than 1GB of RAM
for a backuppc box.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator