..... by the way. If I do an archive using smb to say /tmp, the whole backup is archived. When I do tar -zvxf all the data is available and the size (26 GB) corresponds with the actual size of the data being backed up. I will try and get the info you requested asap. Unfortunately I am not onsight.

Mirco

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Barratt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mirco Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Regis Gras" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <backuppc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:08 AM
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restoring Backups to WinXP clients via rsyncd fails to restore all files

"Mirco Ellis" writes:

I am also experincing the same problem. I am using smb and doing a "test"
restore to a removable IDE HDD on a windows 98 machine. The Full restore
completes without any errors. It is just that some subdirectories are empty. The data has definately been backed up because I can restore the "missing"
files if I go and select them individualy. The actual size of the full
restore is 26 GB, but only  14 GB is restored.

Can you do the following:

 - Look in the RestoreLOG file.  Are the "missing" files listed?
   Are there any errors?

 - On the restore target, does the empty directory have
   permissions/ACLs that would prevent writing of files?
   This is probably the most likely explanation I can
   think of.

 - If the missing files are not in the RestoreLOG file, what
   happens if you run:

       BackupPC_tarCreate -h HOST -s SHARE -n -1 / | tar -tvf -

   Do you see the missing files listed?

Has anyone seen this with rsync/rsyncd, or is it just SMB?

Craig