> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a question as to how cpool stores it's information.
> >
> > I have everything running good with my backup system, but now I want to
> > rsync all or /var/lib/backuppc to an external hard drive for an offsite
> > backup.
> > When I run the rsync, everything syncs fine except the cpool directory.
> > If I do a du on /var/lib/backuppc/cpool it's size is 3.8 GB.  If I do
it
> > on me external device, the size is 104 GB.  So I keep running out of
> > disk space on my external drive.  How do I keep the sizes the same?
>
> the cpool (or the pool, if you're not using compression) makes heavy
> use of hardlinks in order to avoid storing duplicate copies of
> identical files.  rsync, by default, will not preserve hardlinks -- so
> your external copy is getting multiple copies of the identical files
> that backuppc tried to consolidate.  you can tell rsync to preserve
> the hardlinks, but you won't be happy -- your copy will now take
> days, instead of hours or minutes, and you may run out of memory.
>
> there's no perfect way to make a copy of the pool.  the best is
> to do a byte-for-byte copy, either to an identical hard-drive, or
> by using software RAID as a syncing mechanism for your two disks.
> (i.e., run as a "broken" RAID pair most of the time, and only add
> the second half when you want to do your external copy.)  this, and
> other tricks, have been extensively covered in the archives.  if
> there were a FAQ section in the backuppc documentation (i don't think
> there is), this would be question #1.

If you are simply copying the pool, why not try "cp -a". It preserves
hardlinks (at least in Linux), and probably doesn't require as much memory
as rsync does. You don't get the smart copy-only-what-has-changed behavior,
but if it's faster, it's faster. Just an idea, and perhaps simpler than
using RAID.

I confess I haven't searched the archives to see if anybody has suggested
cp in the past :-)

Bernardo